Thursday, July 15, 2010

Life and Death - The Chincoteague Conundrum


Ahh the story behind this photo. I was spending the weekend with my new in-laws at Chincoteague Island, Maryland and I had really been trying to take some pictures all weekend and I just hadn’t gotten a chance. Finally the skies cleared up, and my camera was actually on me and so the wife and I went out on bike looking for good lighting and shots. I had been watching these birds here near the bridge all weekend. They tilt their head to the side and wait and watch for the fish and when they finally get the fish in their sites they attack. I guess the most amazing part for me is that they are not a small animal by any means but they are so much faster than the fish. I knew I needed to capture the motion on when photographing these birds so I adjusted my shutter speed to be high at 1/1000. Turned out well I love the fish in his mouth jumping for its life as the bird tosses him back in his pallet. I think I took about 20 photos of this guy before I was able to get one or two I really like. I have another I just have not decided if I am going to post it. Well shortly after taking this pictures it began to sprinkle and when I looked up the skies had turned to black. We rode as fast as we could to a local Dairy Queen got some Ice Cream and waited out the storm. What a day!  

Update: Since I am importing this from my old blog I guess I get to update people on some interesting information. My mother was redesigning her bathroom as I was going through my Iphoto library she saw this shot, she had to have it! She blew it up and its hanging in there. It was the first piece of my work that actually was printed and framed, needless to say I was very excited.

I also decided to go head and post the second photo with this post, so here it is. Yet again, really high shutter speed to get the water just dripping.

No comments:

Post a Comment