Thursday, September 8, 2011

No Kids Allowed

So in the next month I will be going to not one but two different weddings. The weddings are going to be very different and I am sure to have a good time at both. But last night I was standing and talking with one of the brides and it brought me back to my wedding and all of the hard work and planning that goes into that day. The bride I spoke with last night has politely asked their guests to keep infants out of the ceremony and is getting quite the backlash from her family regarding this. Her opinion is that she does not want a child screaming through the ceremony and then having it immortalized on tape. I remember that this was something that we had originally considered for our wedding and reception. In the end we did in fact get a sitter so that our guests with children would be able to enjoy our wedding with us as adults. Since issues like this have been in the news recently, see here. the question that I have is why is it so offensive to want to enjoy my eating experience without your kids ruining it? Why is it so bad that I want to be able to take an airplane flight without listening to a baby cry for six hours, honestly? Now, being that many of the people in my family have children I understand that they are part of your life, I love your kids, seriously I do. But why do people find it so upsetting when one business says that you cannot bring your kids? They way I see it is that if the business can sustain itself without child patrons, the only people who are affected are the kids themselves. You do not have to go to those establishments, but maybe I want to. I am not offended when you bring your kids to the museum that I am at, I realize that its just as important to their education and they have a right to see these things. I guess my rant really is why are so many people outraged by the idea that establishments could exist without the support of children.

Leave replies, I would love to try to understand that parental side of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment