Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Doing things with people you Love



So this has been coming up a bit in my personal life, so in an effort to talk about things more I will discuss it here. Some of my only memories of Germany as a youngster was not wanting to go to places like castles, gardens, and the other cool things I now want to see in Europe. Since I was young I really had no choice in the matter and was dragged along to 13 different countries on various trips. The entire way to our given destination I remember being upset at not being able to play Sega Genesis or Nintendo all day, but once there ended up having a ton of fun. Something like that happened to me last night. I don’t love baseball, I don’t watch it when it’s on and I had had a really long day at work so I was exhausted. But since my Dad had invited me as his first choice I did not want to let him down, and knew that I had never been able to go to these night games because I worked a night shift at MICROS.  I went to the game expecting it to be what I had envisioned, a long drawn out affair that would be full of some really awkward moments where I don’t understand what was going on and ending up with the O’s loosing. It could not have been farther from the truth, besides the O’s loosing. I had a BLAST being with my Dad, talking to him taking part in the game with him. Baseball is something my Dad loves, and being there with my Dad doing something he loves it made me love it. We got to talk about all sorts of things, we got to really bond and I was beaming the entire time. I really want to go to another one and it’s a shame that the season is almost over. I got to meet all of the people he knows there and we got to really enjoy each other as adults. I knew that my Dad and I had a lot in common but going to the game with him just reminded me how cool of a guy he really is. I guess the lesson here is sometimes there are things that you think that you will not enjoy, but if you go into it with an open mind you may be surprised to find that you have a ton of fun.  At the end of the night I thanked my Dad, gave him a big hug and was honestly sad that the night was over. Last night was one of the best “Father/Son” outings of all time. Thanks Dad.

No comments:

Post a Comment